The Leeds Naturalists’ Club and Scientific Association meets to study Natural History through a programme of speakers, workshops and field meetings, primarily in the Leeds area, and to provide education in Natural History.
Founded in 1870 the Leeds Naturalists’ Club and Scientific Association originally held meetings at the Yorkshire College of Science, an international centre for the study of engineering and textile technology. The Yorkshire College of Science absorbed The School of Medicine and joined the federal Victoria University with Manchester and Liverpool. In 1904 the University of Leeds was given its Royal Charter.
The close relationship with the University of Leeds remained, meetings being held in The Great Hall and later in the L C Miall Building, the home of the Faculty of Biological Sciences within the University of Leeds. The links continued with the University teaching and research staff, who still deliver talks and updates.
During the refurbishment of L C Miall Building the Leeds Naturalists Club and Scientific Association temporarily moved to the Quaker Meeting House opposite the University on Woodhouse Lane. By this time the room hire fee at the University had become ‘peppercorn’, the fee was reviewed and the temporary move became permanent.